UPCYCLED LIGHT FIXTURE
Originally, I wanted to hang a light fixture like this one above the dining room table at home. That was until I started thinking about how feasible it would actually be to hang such a huge fixture from the ceiling of a small and fairly old Swiss apartment. I quickly pushed that idea to the side and still to this day just have wires sticking out of the ceiling.
When I started working on the interior decor of Le Pointu, this is the first thing I thought of. I sketched out an idea and got to work with the rest of the team trying to find exactly what we needed.
We found two wooden beams that fit together perfectly in Steve’s (one of the founders) parents’ garage and gave them a good clean.
Then, we cut the beams to size (they are now each just over a meter long) and hollowed them out to one, make them lighter, and two, make space for all the electrical cables. We got this done by a professional carpenter.
One minor detail I didn’t really consider was how to hang such a heavy fixture from the ceiling without there being any risk whatsoever. I tend to get a little absorbed in how it’s going to look and totally forget about how it’s going to work.
In order to make sure we hung the beams safely and to avoid any risk at all, Stéphane, our carpenter, came back with his 30cm drill and drilled through the dropped ceiling and into a beam above.
The system works with 8 eye bolts (4 in the ceiling and 4 in the beam) and they hang from thick metal chains.
Come on, I had to fit in a light pun. It was too easy.
The last thing we did was hide the thick metal chains with a natural rope (something like sisal or manila rope) and this is the finished result:
Steve found the wood, Cédric got the lightbulbs and the rope light pendants, Arthur covered the chains with the rope, and Vincent helped Mathias who did all of the electrical wiring and linking it up to a dimmer so we can change the intensity of the light.
Photos by Philippe Khodara or @anachronikal on Instagram and myself
I hope you liked this little sneak at probably one of the most extreme DIY projects I’ll ever do. I was a bit hesitant to post this as a DIY as I certainly didn’t do it myself entirely but I just love how it turned out and thought it was worth sharing as I’ve had so many questions about it.
I’d love to know what you think! Thanks for stopping by and see you back here soon! xS