HEALTHY CHOCOLATE ENERGY BITES
As I was looking through my stack of recipe photocopies and cut-outs to find and adapt this recipe last week, I found a small piece of paper with a recipe from a high school friend. The title of the recipe is “Best Cookies Known to Man Kind” and oh, I remember just how true that was. However, the no-bake peanut butter cookie recipe is packed full of sugar and butter and I thought it would be easy to adapt into a healthier version with natural sweeteners and other high-energy ingredients.
It’s not that I steer clear of chocolate or sweet treats but with Easter here I think there is enough temptation and there’s no harm in reaching for a slightly healthier snack.
These are just divine with a cup of milky black English breakfast tea.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 tablespoons peanut butter (crunchy or smooth – I used half and half)
- 30g baking cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (not featured in photo below)
- 100g rolled oats used for porridge/oatmeal
- 10-12 dates, blended
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (I ended up blending them in the blender)
- 25g toasted coconut flakes
- a handful of toasted flaked almonds to coat the energy bites
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
And there you have it, two-dozen delicious little energy bites!
Happy Easter to all of you and enjoy the long weekend! xS